Friday, September 5, 2008

Updates and a yummy recipe

So, I haven't updated on things going on here in awhile other than the house stuff. Let's see...where to begin? Here's my list so I'll include everything:
Our house
Jobs
Cassie
Conrey
Me
Recipe

First, our house: No bites yet. We've only had positive feedback, though, so that's good. We have an open house at our home on Sunday, so hopefully that will be fruitful.

The job that we felt was an almost-sure-thing 5 weeks ago has flopped out. They called 2 hours after Mark's 4.5-hour interview to proceed with the next step. That was 5 weeks ago. After 5-7 phone calls that were either not returned or returned after several days of silence, Mark would talk to the lady and she would tell him this or that sounding like everything was still on. Then, we went through that process again. This time, she tells him very sheepishly that they are wanting someone with more experience than he has. WHAT??? So, basically, we wasted 5 weeks on this whole thing when we could have been looking elsewhere. Man, oh man. It obviously was not the job for him, but it's still irritating that they strung him along only to say that they wanted more experience. HELLO?!? They had his resume for 4 weeks BEFORE the 4.5-hour interview! Whatever, NEXT!

Cassie is doing SUPER with potty training. Yesterday, she was dry all day long. We're still wearing pull-ups because Mommy has been getting ready for aforementioned open house and can't stalk her and doesn't quite trust her. She's proven me wrong again and again and I'm thankful for it! She is quite the ham these days. This morning when I sloshed some juice, she said very supportively, "Don't worry, Mommy...accidents happen sometimes." She gave me a sympathy smile and went about her business. I was rather amused by this exchange.

Mr. Conrey...what do I say about this hulk. He is almost 12 weeks. He weighs over 16 lbs. He is beginning to be very interactive and smiley. He chews on anything he can. He loves his big sister and she loves him. He's currently upstairs screaming his little head off. He's in his bed and doesn't want to go to sleep on his own today. Sorry, buddy...you're gonna have to get back in the swing of that. He's always gone to sleep on his own. Today, he just wants to be held. Hmmm... He's a very good-natured baby and smiles more than Cassie did and we thought she was a very smiley baby. I know he's only almost-3-months, but we've certainly been blessed thus far with 2 good babies.

I'm still dizzy, though not constantly so. It is back to the every so often twang of dizziness that makes me pause momentarily. Maybe that's what this is all about...learning to pause and take a deep breath every so often. :) Other than that, I'm just trying to get this house ready for the open house.

NOW, for an ultra yummy recipe. It is for balsamic chicken and it is sooo yummy. I'm making it tonight. Below it, I'll describe another addition to our dinner...the almost-gauranteed-way to make anyone like cauliflower.

Balsamic Chicken Breasts (MAY WANT TO DOUBLE THE EVOO, VINEGAR, BROTH, GARLIC, and BUTTER--I used this amount for just 2 chicken breasts)

4 boneless, skinless chicken breast
4 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning
2-3 teaspoons EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
2/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup chicken broth
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
8 teaspoons butter

Directions
1 Pound chicken breasts to 1/4-inch thickness
2 Press lemon-pepper seasoning evenly on both sides of chicken.
3 In a large skillet heat EVOO to medium temperature.
4 Cook chicken breasts 3-4 minutes per side or until fork can be inserted in chicken with ease and it is cooked through (not pink and juices are clear).
5 Remove chicken and keep warm.
6 Add vinegar, broth, and garlic to frying pan. Cook over medium-high heat (scraping up brown meat bits) about 2-4 minutes or until mixture is reduced and syrupy (it took mine longer to reduce and get syrupy).
7 Add butter; stir to melt.

Serve over chicken and enjoy! :)

AWESOME Cauliflower
*Cut fresh cauliflower into florets...kind of the size you'd do on a veggie tray.
*Put them evenly into a casserole dish. They can fill the dish or can be in a single layer...it doesn't really matter.
*Drizzle EVOO over the cauliflower making 2-3 passes back and forth. You don't have to hit every piece.
*Sprinkle coarse salt (sea salt or kosher) over all similar to the way you did the EVOO
*Bake at 400 for 30-45 minutes depending on the size of your pieces. You want them to be browned and tender. Some will get dark brown...that's okay. Those are actually my favorite pieces. :) It is soooo yummy and even if you don't like cauliflower, I would STRONGLY suggest you try it and give it a chance. I'm pretty sure you'll be surprised! :)

Well, that's my ultra long post for the day. Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Devon, Dustin would probably eat that chicken. :-) I'll try it sometime. I doubt I'll try the cauliflour, though. I'm back strict on my diet (I want to lose the 30 lbs I've gained back since the cruise and then try for our last baby. We're ready.) If the kids decide they don't like the veggies then there is no one to eat them if I'm out with the oil. :-( Finding food is hard sometimes. I am trying to make diet food the kids might eat with me sometimes and make food Dustin and they would all eat together othertimes. Bleh! Dumb!

Call me sometime! I work the next 4 nights.