Wednesday, January 13, 2010

What BIG KIDS I have!

So, we've done some major renovations in our house this past weekend/week.  By major renovations, I mean projects that wouldn't be nearly as big of a deal had we not had 3.5 and 1.5 year olds running around in the midst.  Also, by "renovation" I mean a whole lot of painting going on 'round here.  Painting may not seem like that big of a deal until you add in said children.  I apologize for writing this post BEFORE I have pictures to post, but I am anyway, so deal.  :)  We have completed the kids' rooms (well, Conrey's is nearly done...) and have begun on our main living space.  The paint brushes and rollers turned out in grand numbers to dip, glide, and roll across our previously boring walls.  At Christmas time, Cassie was gifted a "big girl bed" AKA a twin complete with headboard, nightstand, comforter, sheets, and pillows.  She has done great in it from the getgo.  Her crib bedding had transferred to the toddler bed and so switching to the big bed was hard on mommy...giving up the precious baby bedding and all.  Anyway, we packed all of the baby stuff up and revamped her room into a total big girl hang out AKA "here's your new room so please get every single toy that you own out and wreck the place" hang out.  We did stripes on the wall that match her bedding and bought curtains to complete the look.  She has things hanging on her walls now (WHAT A CONCEPT?!?) and it is a very put together, completed room.  YAY for big girls!

With her transition, we had a perfectly good little toddler bed just sitting around needing a home.  Conrey is now 19 months, which is 2-1/2 months older than Cassie was when we moved her to the toddler bed, so we decided back at Christmas time to give it a shot.  NOT SO MUCH!  He freaked out the 2 times that I tried to put him to bed in the little toddler bed, so we just figured it was no big deal...he was still little and would be fine to stay in the crib.  We kept the toddler bed in his room so that he would get used to it, though.  He LOVES playing on it...just not sleeping.  Well, with the painting fun happening, we decided that we were just going to go for it and dismantled the crib *sob* yesterday.  We set his little toddler bed up where the crib used to be and painted big circles (balls in his mind) on the walls to match his bedding.  We reorganized the room into a more big boy room (got rid of the rocking chair and a few other things) and prepared for a few hard nights/naps.  We put him down for his nap there yesterday with no crib in sight.  He was really upset, so I laid down with him and he was asleep in about 2 minutes.  Last night, we put him to bed in his new big boy bed and he cried, but then calmed down and was just playing nicely and then we didn't hear anything else, so we knew that he'd gone to sleep.

FAST FORWARD our story to Cassie's bedtime after my sister and b-i-l had left.  We go back to his room and I hear Conrey snoring away in his room.  On second thought, his snoring sounded strange, like it was in the hallway.  I glanced around assuring myself that he was not in the hallway, but in his room with the door closed.  I try the door and can't budge it.  Mark got a flashlight and shined it under the door.  My baby boy was sleeping flush up against the door with his little mouth breathing right under the crack of the door.  He was sound asleep. 

A bit later, I went back to check on him and found him still in front of the door.  SO, I pushed the door a bit and he rolled over.  He woke up a bit and realized I was there, so he scrambled over to his blankie on the floor beside his bed and went back to sleep on it.  I picked him up and put him into his bed.  He was back asleep instantly.  I didn't hear anything from him until about 6 a.m. when I went in, gave him his paci back and put him back in bed.  He got up for the day at 7:00.

At nap time today, he had a harder time than yesterday, but he still did okay.

SO, my kiddos have both had momentus transitions to big kidhood.

Let me tell you about my Cassie girl, though.  We had planned a surprise for her with her room.  We were going to do glow-in-the-dark stars, moons, and her name.  So, we put her to bed in our bed Monday night so that we could finish up her room.  She looks at me and says, "BUT MOMMY!  If I go to sleep in your room, how can I see my glow-in-the-dark surprise???"  We couldn't believe it and aren't sure how she knew about it, but she apparently did!

Ok.  That's my update.  Pics to come.  Thanks for poppin' by!

1 comment:

Donna said...

You are not alone. Clark sleeps behind his door every night and nap time if his door is closed. It is a rare occasion that I actually find him in his bed. I am glad my kid is not alone in this. :)