Monday, January 11, 2010

What I've been up to...secretly.

So, I've had a secret project that I've been working on.  Nobody knows about it except for two people, my husband and my brother.  I guess, with this post, I'm kind of telling the world, though I only expect a handful of people to actually read this.  I have been writing.  I've been writing a novel.  That's right.  You heard me.  I've been writing a novel.  I don't know if it is or ever will be good enough to be published, but the story was in my head and wanted out...badly.  So, I've been writing.  My  husband has been grumbling.  My brother has been reading.  Mark has been good about it, truly.  It's just that, when I create a part of the story in my head, it has to get down before I lose it.  It is a story that I've written with a target audience of preteen, teen, and young adult girls, primarily.  It is a Christian romance that is heavily peppered with religion discussion, prayer, and awareness of God's will for the lives of the characters.  It is about love and real life in the midst of a fairytale-type setting.  Every little girl expects a fairytale ending, but that is not reality.  By creating a story base that is very fairytale inspired and then spinning it into the reality of life and real-life marriage and love, I'm hoping to inspire the young girls to have happier marriages in the future because they won't have a starry-eyed approach and then fall apart when things get rough the day after the honeymoon.  Please don't get me wrong.  I am ALL about romance.  It has its time and place in any relationship.  I just believe that one of the major problems in marriages today is that the couple is expecting fairytale and gets reality.  When it's not all kisses and roses, but rather dishes and laundry, they feel that they've failed from the get-go and that it is hopeless to even try.  Those of us who are happily married know that marriage takes work.  Those who have seen their parents married know that it takes work, but we still go into dumb.  :)  So, that's my novel.  I don't want to share the story, because it sounds dumb if I try to explain it in a short paraphrase.  Also, if I do ever do anything with it, I wouldn't want to spoil it for you.  :) 

On a completely unrelated note, I really, really, really, really want LASIK surgery.  I want it so badly.  I've heard, though, that you shouldn't have it if you intend to ever get pregnant.  Another baby is not out of the question for us, so I don't think that I'm eligible.  I don't really know, though.  That's just what I heard.  I just really want it.  Any insights into that?  :)

8 comments:

Donna said...

That is cool. I think you should try to get it published. You are very talented.

BTW, I don't know anything about Lasik so I can't help you there. Sorry.

Kelli said...

OK, I have two comments. First, to tie together with your novel, read Julie Lessman's books for inspiration, specifically "The Daughters of Boston" series. They are fantastic and sound similar to what you're talking about. Also, I have a friend that is a Christian YA author, so let me know if you ever want me to hook you two up!

In regards to LASIK, I had it and had another child after. I have had no problems, and my youngest is almost a year old. My eyesight was terrible before, and my contacts and glasses weren't dead-on before anyway, so I decided it was worth it. I have no regrets!

Hope that helps!
Kelli Stouder

Devion said...

Thank you Donna and Kelli. I didn't even know you read my blog or had a blog, Kelli! Exciting to meet up with you online! If I get my novel finished, I will definitely hit you up to hook me up with your friend. :) Thanks for the LASIK encouragement too! :)

Laura said...

They say your eye balls swell and change shape a bit with pregnancy and don't go back to normal until a while after birth so your eye sight is different. They say not to get a new glasses perscription while pregnant for that reason so I would guess that is the thought behind the lasix as well. I don't know, though. Just a guess.

P.S. Good luck with the writing. Sounds like fun.

Kelly T said...

I should ask my cousin about the Lasik thing; she works for one of the doctors at Grene Vision.

I'm so amused about your novel. That sounds terrible. I have every bit of faith in you and I'd love to read it anytime you want to pass it on! The reason I'm amused is because we are very similar. I'm currently not working on mine but I have it tucked away on my computer for rainy days... I think it's been well over a year since I've touched it, though. Like I said, anytime you want, I'll be your reader.

Anonymous said...

I inclination not approve on it. I regard as precise post. Specially the title-deed attracted me to be familiar with the sound story.

Rebekah said...

You should let me read it...you know, beta test it ;)

I've started and stopped writing stories so many different times that I've given up. I keep forcing it, more of an outlet for me, but it hasn't fell into place yet. Maybe one day it will, but for now I am more than ecstatic to watch you as you shine :)

I'm not joking about the beta thing... (did I mention I'm a good proofreader? I proofread transcripts, you know, just sayin')

Michelle said...

I totally feel left out in the dark and I'm only two days behind reading on my blogs! Cool about the novel! I think that's so awesome, wish I could come up with a great story and turn it into some cash ;) I hope that it works out for you and you pursue getting it published.

I have heard the same things as Laura, but I'm not the best person to ask. I know my eyesight has changed in the past two years with my pregnancies, but it could be my age too. My feet grew a half size with each kiddo, so I'll blame my eyesight on them too ;)