Thursday, July 3, 2008

Potty Training

So, here I am back at this crossroads...once again, it is not initiated by myself, but rather by Cassie. That is what happened the last time, as well. She REALLY wants to wear big girl panties. She begs and pleads, but I've told her that she has to potty in her potty chair first. So, she'll go and sit and sit and sit. Then, she'll decide she's done and 1 of 3 things will happen. If she's taking a bath, she potties immediately in the bathtub. If we're putting on a diaper, she potties in the diaper within 10-15 minutes. The final option is she tries and tries and then gets up. As we're going to her room, she potties on the floor. Oh, my. She just still has anxiety about pottying in her potty. She loves reading books about pottying. There is one that talks about how you can be so proud of being a big girl once you potty on the potty and wear big girl panties. She absolutely BEAMS when we read that part. Hmmm... Oh, she also had a little adventure in pooping in the bathtub the other day and started screaming like there was a shark in the bath. Fun times, fun times...

I have kind of thought that this might be the BEST time to get it done while Conrey is still sleeping so much and she is wanting to prove her "Big Girl" status. Once he's to the point where he is awake a lot, it's going to be much more difficult to focus on her in that respect. Any thoughts about that? I know that many of you are experienced trainers, so give me some input.

Well, that was all I was gonna say. Hope you all have a fabulous 4th and I'll hopefully be catching up on blogs today!!! :) GOD BLESS AMERICA!

2 comments:

Chelf said...

My sis-in-law is working to train her 2 1/2 yr old daughter, too. Girls are so different to train than boys. When she took a road trip and had a friend boy who is younger and also training doing better than herself, she was all about potty training. She did so well. Now that they are home again, she is back to being lazy about it. (she also has a little brother who is now 10 mos. old)

They started by giving her 3 M&M's if she really did go in her potty chair. That worked for a while. I even let her pick the colors she wanted. But I guess that has failed now too. Now, she seems to be scared of the big potty, like she is afraid she will fall in.

They have to WANT to be a big girl. We can't force them into understanding their body cues. The bath makes her go, probably because warm water on the belly (on a hand as a prank?) helps the muscles relax enough to let her go.

I doubt any of this helps, other than knowing that you are not the only one going through this right now. I will share if I hear any success breakthroughs that worked on my niece.

Anonymous said...

Hey Girl. I just got both of my kiddos trained this year. I despaired of EVER having either one of them trained. There are SO many things out there to discourage you. Mine was mostly friends and family telling me what a cinch it was to train theirs and they had theirs potty trained by such and such early age..blah blah blah! UGH!

Mitchell turned 4 in January and was STILL not potty trained. He just didn't seem to get it. I would try off and on and it just wasn't working. One weekend we just decided to try again and in TWO days he was fully potty trained. He has no accidents, doesn't wet the bed at night...is completely there! I couldn't believe it!

My daughter, Karissa, on the other hand is a completely different story. She turned three in March and was doing better than her brother was at potty training. At least I could get her to tell me when she needed to go and she'd go...even in the big potty. BUT all these months later and we still haven't made much progress. She can go to the potty pretty much on her own, but still has accidents and still isn't waking up dry in the morning..in fact I still have to watch her when she takes naps because she'll have accidents then, too.

All I can tell you is that every child is different. What worked for Karissa DID NOT work for Mitchell. With Karissa, I had someone suggest to me to leave her naked during the day at home. I know this sounds like a scary concept (it did to me too) but it actually worked. She didn't have an "OUT" with having a diaper or even panties on. When she had to go there was no where else to go except the potty. And that did work. Then if she would go to the potty I would "reward" her with some panties. If she had an accident we would go back to being naked. There was a LONG time in which she'd have accidents almost the second I put panties on her...even though she wanted them on. But she finally got the hang of it and she's in panties full time now. I also had to TAKE the diapers away from her completely. Even at night. I got some of those two-in-one panties that are cloth inside and plastic outside for her to wear at night. She was using the diapers to her advantage and one day I just got so fed up (because she knew what to do and how to do it and just wasn't) that I looked at her and said "NO MORE DIAPERS!" and I got rid of them. She was pretty shocked. But I think not having a back-up worked too. I spent many many MANY hours in the bathroom with her getting her to go. Try to be as encouraging as you can and still keep your sanity. It'll come, but it'll just come in her own time when her body is ready. I'm a true believer in that...especially after our experience with Mitchell.

Hope some of that helps. Sorry it was so long.

Apryl