Thursday, May 27, 2010

My BIG kids

My kids have been cracking us up lately.  Of course, we have our  moments where they make us want to pull our hair out, but they are both at really great stages.  They have been through so, so much during this pregnancy and it really breaks my heart how little time and attention I was able to give them.  Things have really improved and we're enjoying reconnecting with each other now that mommy is back to semi-normal.

Cassie is totally into pretend play.  Last Sunday, she informed me that she had changed her name to Safari.  She came to me wearing a Safari hat.  Ok...we went with it.  A bit later she said, "Mommy, I'm in the mood for some ice cream."  I told her that we were not having ice cream, as it was almost dinner time.  She said, "Well, it's a good thing I always keep some ice cream in my hat!"  She pulled off her safari hat and she had a pretend ice cream cone in the hat, which she proceeded to eat.  All I could do was laugh.

Conrey has grown quite well into his name of Ornery Conrey.  Oh. My.  He is his daddy's boy, that is for sure (and his grandpa's).  My grandpa and my dad (and some of my uncles) are famous (you know...not like famous, but with people who know them well) for the twinkle that they get in their eye when they are being ornery or are up to no good.  If you ask anyone what they remember about Grandpa, that will always come up in the conversation.  My kids both have the twinkle, but I am seeing Conrey's a LOT lately.  He took very early on to my dad's insurance manager, Justine.  I've always asked, "Whose boy are you?"  The answer was always, "Momma's boy!"  Now, with that stinkin twinkle, he says, "JUSTINE'S BOY!" and then he flinches waiting for the tickle that he knows accompanies his answer.  This is the game that we play multiple times a day.  Sometimes, out of the blue, he'll shout, "JUSTINE'S BOY!"  It is sometimes Grandpa's boy or Grannie's boy...anything to not say Mommy.  This little game, however, has enabled me to catch a glimpse of his sweet, soft heart.  If I make a sad face and ask him the question, he whispers, "Mommy's boy......." and gives me a hug and kiss.  :)  He is so sweet and tender and I just love it.  I hope that he can be a "manly man" or "tough boy" while still having his soft side.  I don't want my son to be a wuss or a wimp, but I want him to have the compassion and gentleness that Jesus asks of us.

Probably my most rewarding thing of late is catching bits of conversation between my children as they play.  They have their squabbles like any siblings, but they love each other deeply.  The other day, it was a Tuesday, I believe, I overheard Cassie teaching Conrey all about the story she had learned in Bible class on Sunday.  She was trying to get him to understand that the whole point of the story was how much Jesus loves us.  It was precious and I wish that I had a recording of it.  She loves sharing Bible stories and "lessons" with her brother.  I always feel guilty when we get almost home and she has to ask, "Wanna know what I learned in Bible class today/tonight?"  She loves to tell us about it, too, and the times that I fail to ask, it seems that she lasts as long as she can wait for me to ask before she just has to tell us.  I try my best to ask once we're leaving church both to reiterate the lesson and therefore solidify it for her and to encourage her in her "evangelism" as it may be, to Daddy, Mommy, and brother.

I can't believe that in less than 2 weeks, I'll officially have a 4-year-old and a 2-year-old.  This time 2 years ago, I was in and out of the hospital, passing out, and pretty unfunctional.  Prayers would be appreciated that Keaton doesn't steal Momma's iron the way his brother did. 

Everyone have a blessed Memorial Day weekend and I'll try to blog about our experiences next week!

1 comment:

BEK said...

You little kids are growing up!!! Prayers are always your way X2 when you are pregnant!! Love ya lots!