Thursday, September 2, 2010

A Mommy Moment (or 2)

So, Cassie started preschool this week, as you all know.  If I had had the time, the pictures would be already uploaded to go with this post.  Unfortunately, that is not the case.  My entire Thursday (today) was spent at the hospital, but we'll get back to that...  Anyway, thanks to my sweet friend, Kelly, I actually HAVE pictures of her first day of school, but they are still on her camera waiting to be uploaded.  Mark has our camera in Nebraska.  Bad planning on my part.

So, she walks up to her class.  We hang up her backpack.  She stands by the classroom door for an obligatory picture.  She walked in and never looked back...

I stood there for a moment trying to figure out what to do.  I weakly called out, "Have fun..."  She never turned around, but went to join one of her best friends, Xander, on the rug with the other kids.  I thought to myself, "Well, I guess I'll be going then......................"

We work and work to get our kids to do things independently; getting dressed, walking, feeding themselves, playing with others.  Then, when it is time to turn them lose, we must struggle against the tether that ties them straight into our heart. 

No, I did not cry.  I figured, if she's not, why should I?

When I picked her up, before she even got to the classroom door, she called out, "MOMMY!  You were RIGHT!  Preschool IS so much fun!!!"  My heart soared as she reconnected that tether and began describing he day in detail.



My other mommy moment was the day spent at the hospital.  Started out this morning with fluid that ran down both legs.  Concerning in pregnancy?  Quite possibly.  I was not concerned, but was curious as to the origin of said fluid.  I called up to the dr's office on the advice of several and said that I didn't think it was, but thought I should call anyway, etc.  Of course, what do they say (and why do I even bother calling them)?  You need to go to the hospital. 


I get there and it is quite a long process before the nurse gets around to testing me.  Negative.  However, in that long process time, I start contracting a lot.  No biggie at first, but I find myself contracting harder and harder and closer and closer as the minutes tick by.  By the time the 15-minute test finally comes back negative, my contractions were 3-5 minutes apart and were really pretty painful.  I'm not talking this-baby-is-crowning painful, but enough that it would bring tears to my eyes occasionally.  Then, I started having some super duper contractions that were lasting 4-5 minutes WITHOUT A BREAK!!!!!!!  I was NOT lovin' that!  That did all kinds of tests with a urinalysis, various swabs, etc. to see what was causing this.  Answer?  Nothing.  Nada.  Zip.  Negatory.  Have I ever mentioned that I'm a medical freak?  Well, I am.  BUT, at least I'm not a flesh-eating bacteria freak like my brother.  *ahem*  The severity of my anemia has never been explainable.  I was sick for nearly 6 years with no diagnosis.  Now this.  Love it.  Nothing like hearing, "We don't know what's causing this, but......."

Anyway, bad contractions for several hours.  I then get up to potty (for the 3rd time) and when I get back in bed, they start to slow and decrease in intensity quite rapidly.  Soon, I am no longer contracting but once every 30 minutes or so and they are not even bad enough to make me quit talking.

So, negative tests plus no contractions equals no reason for the hospital to keep you longer!  WOO HOO!  I'm home now and am enjoying the lovely, chilly, fall-like weather!  It is currently 68 degrees here...perfect for a big 'ol pregnant lady!

Thanks to everyone that knew what was going on and prayed.  Let's just keep him in here for 1 week and 6 days longer until 37 weeks to be on the safe side!

1 comment:

Donna said...

I am glad Cassie had a great first day and I am glad to hear that baby and you are okay. We will definitely keep you in our prayers. Have a wonderful weekend with your hubby in town. :)