Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Accountable

So, I'm writing this in hopes that you will be my multitude of accountability partners. I have felt a deep, urging, insistent challenge deep in my being since reading my brothers' posts. It wasn't until my brother, Dustin, AKA TacoDave posted the analogy about being in love and how you want to spend so much time building a relationship with that person, etc. etc. that it really hit me. I say that I want a relationship with God, but I don't crave time with Him...I don't spend all my time thinking about Him. Instead, I spend my time doing stupid, mindless things such as watching reality TV and that sort of thing. If you know me, you know how much I LOVE all things reality. I LOVE America's Next Top Model, Hell's Kitchen, Big Brother, Survivor...you name it (as long as it's not something like Queer Eye For The Straight Guy or whatever that show is called) and you can bet I've watched some of it...had SEVERAL of them recorded on my DVR and spent countless hours living in the world of reality TV.

NO MORE!

I DEMAND A REVOLUTION WITHIN MYSELF! Last night, I went through my DVR and cancelled the recordings that were scheduled. I left WipeOut and Ace of Cakes. I felt like those were decent shows to be watching. If you disagree, please tell me why. I am really trying to clean up my act.

Here's where I get soooo stuck on my selfishness and it makes me sick to my stomach. I feel soooo busy. I feel like I don't EVER have time to myself and so that is the time that I spend alone watching "my" shows. What is the problem with this, you ask? Everyone needs time to unwind. WRONG! God should be getting my first fruits. He should get my FIRST cut of time. Right now...He's not really getting even the leftovers...they are going to mindless garbage...much LESS my first fruits. So, I am starting over. I am doing a redo. I am leaving the TV off and I am going to try to put my best foot forward.

I do not tell any of this to toot my own horn. I am not announcing my separation from the trash I've been watching to say "Look at what I'M doing!" I'm telling you so that you all can be my Jimminy Cricket. PLEASE check up on me. I'm telling you...with the new season of shows starting, this is going to be a KILLER on me, but God deserves it and I want to stay strong. So, please pray for me and please check up on me and encourage me. I want to be in on the mission with my brothers in spirit. I'm not wanting to be part of it in an evangelical way, but I can support them by renovating my lifestyle and being supportive of them and their changes.

That's all I have to say. If you haven't read the past month's posts on my brother's blog, I encourage you to hop over there from the link below. I only did Dustin's link, because Derin's been putting his things on there too.

Bye Bye Reality...Hello.....well, REALITY!

2 comments:

Chelf said...

I read those couple of posts, and I felt pretty convicted, too.

I try to surround myself with Christian friends, and I NEED them. But... many of them are not strong enough to be my accountability.

I would be happy to check in on you, but only if you return the favor. :-)

heather said...

Thank you so much for this post. I think I needed this kick-in-the-butt, too. It's so easy for me to turn on the TV and zone out. Deep down, I know there is the desire to connect on a much deeper level with God.

How have you been doing since you posted this??