Saturday, August 9, 2008

LIFE-long learning

And so it begins...our "preschool." I am WAY excited. My friend, Bek, posted a link on her blog about an online learning curriculum that prepares your child for reading. It is at www.letteroftheweek.com. I am sooo incredibly excited! Before getting very invested in it (mentally...not financially, as it is FREE), I tried some of it with Cassie. Not only was she sooo excited when I told her we were going to do some learning (she said, "THANK YOU, Mommy!"), but the ideas and curriculum immediately engaged her. The first week focuses on cows, calves, squares, 'A,' and '1.' There is a nursery rhyme for each week and songs and books for each week. I will probably just use the books we have and find ways to incorporate them, as well as using the library resources to our advantage. I am just too excited about this and wanted to share it with all of you, as it has resources for newborn babies (3 months and up) all the way up to age 8. I am hoping that this instills a desire for life-long learning in my 2 precious children. I AM going to make 1 change to this curriculum, however. In the baby section, each day has a Bible verse (although they are difficult and appear to be NKJ version). I am going to do simple Bible verses each week with Cassie's curriculum so that I'm teaching her important life things while instilling the Word of God in her heart at the same time. Wish me luck!!!

OH, wait...we also had a new experience today. I FINALLY let Cassie play with Play-Doh for the first time today. She LOVED it and we'll probably try to incorporate that into our lessons every few days at least. Ok...that's all for now.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

PlayDoh is so fun! Em prefers the container and lid still, but enjoys watching me play with the dough. I can occasionally get her to touch it, but she's still kinda weirded out by it some :)

As for the curriculum, it really is great material. I do a combination of the 2+ year and the 14 month for Em as I don't really care for her under 2 stuff, but she does incorporate things I like into the under 2 stuff like the bible verse and classical music, etc. You can find lots of free coloring pages online too to go along with the letter, number, animal, shape, etc. so you really don't have to invest much $ at all!

Kelli Hills said...

Devon:

If u are worried about her eating the play doh...then make peanut butter play doh...that way if she does put some in her mouth it's not going to hurt her...we made lots of it when i worked in the developement center with the 1-2 yr olds...here is the recipe:
PEANUT BUTTER PLAYDOUGH

1 1/2 c. peanut butter
3/4 c. powdered milk
3 tbsp. honey

Mix all ingredients together. Form playdough into shapes. After you play with it. Eat it!