Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Nightmare on MY street...or not...

Before I write my saga, everything is fine and we are all safe and sound. Here we go:

We had a rough, rough night. I didn't get to sleep until about 1:00 a.m. as it was. I just tossed and turned unable to get comfy. I woke up from a dumb dream where I let the bathtub overflow (we lived in a 2 story house and it was soaking the main level) and Mark was mad.  It was a frustrating dream in many ways. As I've gotten older, I've become really good at waking myself up from dreams, so I woke myself up and did a "rewind." I replayed the dream where I turned off the bath while I was still standing there, etc. Anyway, I heard normal night noises and just laid there waiting to go back to sleep. Suddenly, Mark's phone lights up on his side of the bed. It was bright, then dim, then went back off. I quickly cataloged the noises that I'd been hearing coupled with the light and the fact that he was snoring his lungs out and started to panic in my head. If you don't know, I sleep at the opposite end of the bed from Mark, so the lamp was by my feet. I veeeeery slowly get turned around, flick on the lamp, and jump out of the bed ready to fight, though I don't know what I thought I was going to do other than get shot!

I rush to his side of the bed to investigate the floor area that I couldn't see from my side, go into his bathroom and look in the shower all the while he is starting to wake up and look at me like I'm crazy. I explain to him as I open our closets and check through there. I was visibly shaking like a leaf...or worse than a leaf. I was shaking HARD. He thinks that I'm imagining things and doesn't get up...just tells me to calm down. I tell him what happened and he assures me there is no one, but I tell him that there IS someone and he needs to check things out. He thinks I'm crazy, but walks out to the living room and sits on a chair at the table. I have already checked my bathroom by now and go check the kids rooms and check on the kids.

It took me like 15 or 20 minutes to convince him how serious I was and he finally checked downstairs thoroughly including the windows and stuff. All is secure.

We're sitting at the table and I'm in front of the computer. I KNOW that I saw light and I KNOW that I was fully awake. So, I google something about phones lighting up on their own and come up with a bunch of sites talking about people's phones just lighting up for who-knows-what reason.

I tell Mark he might as well go back to bed. He says he doesn't know if he can sleep. I left a light on in our big room and checked the kids again. I got in bed with the lamp on and after many conversations of "I trust you, God. Please take care of us. I am trusting you to keep us safe, God..." I finally turned our light off and laid down (with my glasses still on). After awhile, I was able to take them off and relax and finally go to sleep, though it was a restless sleep for sure where I heard every noise possible until it was light outside. I slept soundly, however, from when the sun came up until the kids got us up at 7:45.

WHEW! Sorry for the loooong story, but I needed to get it out! It was so freaky and I am so thankful that all was safe, but am angry at that 'ol devil for scaring the tar out of me and stealing some much-needed sleep! So, if you try to get ahold of me today and can't, it's because I'm sleeping!

3 comments:

Kelly T said...

Sorry you had a rough night. Glad Mark was home with you.

BEK said...

Those kinds of nights are terrible! We had a few of those kind of nights in our first home! So scary!

Donna said...

Get some rest today and if I can help in any way let me know. Sorry you didn't sleep well.