Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Grandpa

I just wanted to do a quick note about my grandpa, Bruce Eugene Dopps. Today is the 1-year anniversary of when one of the greatest men I will know in my lifetime went on home to be with God. The amazing thing for me? My daddy took after him in more ways that he knows and is pretty great himself. My family has always talked about the legacy that the Bible describes where the blessings of a father will be passed on from generation to generation. The way I see it, our family is incredibly, incredibly blessed and it is because of the faith of this great man that we were all fortunate to know, love, and live amongst. I feel positive that our families will be blessed for generations to come because of him and because of the ways that my father is like his father. So, on this day when we all feel a little sadness in our hearts, we also feel blessed to have been touched by such a great man. We feel blessed to have been a part of such a strong, Christian family. We feel blessed to be...DOPPS.

Grandpa, we know that you would be hot under the collar to think that we're feeling sad today over you. You'd say, "What are you wasting time on me for? I'm GREAT! Just make sure you come along after me..." We will, Grandpa...we will.

If my grandma were reading this, I would tell her that we all have cried silent tears along with her when she's home alone at night. I would tell her that we've all sent out a hug across the miles to comfort her. I would just simply say, "I love you."

So, while I do feel sad that he's no longer with us in the flesh, I do know that the time will come when we'll all be together for eternity. I just have to make sure to get me there along with all of my family. That makes me happy. That makes things worth living. As Christians, we look forward to God saying, "Well done, my good and faithful servant." I also look forward to my grandpa saying, "Well done, my darling granddaughter...well done..." at which point I fully expect him to nuzzle me with his whiskers just to make me yelp. :)

1 comment:

Chelf said...

Yeah, last year was not so fun for Dustin. He had a birthday, and then lost Grandpa. Yuck.

I think your family has a great legacy for Christ. Awesome.