Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Not so random question of the DAY...

How on EARTH do you pack for 3 people (one being a toddler in diapers) for 10 days?!?!?

SERIOUSLY!

This is tough! I know, I know, Laura...you have 5 people to pack for, 1 being a toddler in diapers. However, you have 1 advantage over me. You have the allowance of up to 8 suitcases since you have 4 ticketed passengers. I only have the allowance of 4 suitcases...one of which HAS to be my hang-up bag, which just doesn't hold much!

So, I have had all of my stuff and Cassie's stuff laid out since some time last week and I've been adding to the pile and I come across something or think of something that needs to be added. It is o-v-e-r-w-h-e-l-m-i-n-g! We have to have regular clothes, beach/pool clothes, and dinner clothes for each day. Not to mention comfy clothes for evenings and pajamas. OH, MY! I just don't know how we're going to get it all into the 4 pieces of luggage allowed. So, there are always carry-ons, right? Well, with the restrictions and regulations on carry-ons these days, aren't we all just a little afraid to put anything in our carry on that might get taken away by security? My aunt got her manicure set taken away when they first made all of these rules. Bummer! I mean, I could put my toiletries in my carry-on, but they all have to be less than 4 oz. Do you SERIOUSLY think with all this hair that I can go 10 days on 4 oz?!? Uh, no! So, I am just going to have to economize and shrinkatize and consolitize (I know, I know...2 made up words...I couldn't say consolodate, because then it would have broken my trend).

Secondly, how many diapers do you take for 10 days? I mean, I can figure out I usually go through x amount of diapers per day. BUT, you figure you'll be using swim diapers a lot...what if she were to get traveller's diarrhea or something???...what if we run out?!? Not exactly a Wally World on the cruise liner. So, I figure maybe 5 diapers per day? Well, that's 50 diapers, my friend! That's half a suitcase of diapers! So, say we do 4 regular diapers each day assuming that we'll be using 1-2 swimming diapers...still 40 diapers and still a ton to pack.

Wow! So much to think about. So, why on EARTH am I sitting here blogging about it rather than packing? Look at the post below under "bad habits" my friend...you'll understand...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking about the diaper thing, too. When we visit your family, I usually take enough for 3 days, just in case and plan to buy a package there. On this trip you have to pack more than enough, just in case. Fun. What size does Cassie wear? Callie should be in a 4 but Dustin keeps forgetting and buying 5's. I'm going to bring the 5's we have and buy a package of 4s. We can help eachother out if diarrhea hits.:-) Good luck with the packing.

Hey, do we need dinner clothes for every day? I have only packed 4 or 5 dresses so far. I have a few more I could pack if I might need them.

Can't wait!

Cami D said...

I don't know the whole tranportation plans, but my thought would be to take half on the airplane. Then, couldn't you get more once you arrive, but before you get on the ship? Take a spare duffle bag rolled up to not take up too much room, then put the new packages into that to board the ship.
Just my little $0.02 worth. lol

Anonymous said...

Cami--that sounds like a GREAT idea, but I don't think that we'll have the opportunity to get them. We won't have a rental car or anything...only the shuttles from the airport to the ship. Otherwise, I would FOR SURE do that! Hmmmm...I wonder if there is some way to make that work, though...

Chelf said...

And you thought it would be easier than potty training! Ha!

I have no idea what to tell you, I have no kids. I just know that I would pack everything, and then buy a box (big Sam's sized box) of diapers, and if anyone gave you crap about it, you hold up the baby (preferably with a dirty diaper nearby) and say... What do you want me to do, dear? You keep her for the two weeks? I didn't think so.

Good luck getting all those diapers in, and have a BLAST out there on the ocean! Bring back stories and pictures for us lonely landlubbers, OK?